These terms and conditions are provided so that you (the client) and I (the proofreader) have a clear understanding of the process of working together. If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact me. These terms and conditions must be read, understood and accepted before I can undertake any work for you.
Throughout these terms and conditions, the following expressions have the following meanings:
- ‘Client’, ‘customer’, and ‘you’ refer to the person or party ordering editorial services.
- ‘Proofreader’, ‘editor’, ‘I’ and ‘me’ refer to the person carrying out the proofreading, editing or formatting services ordered (in all instances, this will be Chloe Lay).
- ‘Document(s)’ refers to the text submitted to be proofread, edited or formatted.
- The term ‘proofreading’ refers to all editing services, including ‘proofreading’, ‘editing’, ‘formatting’ and ‘copy editing’.
Each reference in these Terms and Conditions to ‘writing’ and other similar expressions includes any and all written communications, whether sent by email, post or other means.
- The terms and conditions listed here apply to any and all work carried out for the client by the proofreader.
- All proofreading services will be agreed upon in writing by the customer and the proofreader prior to the commencement of work.
- The client is under no obligation to offer the proofreader work, nor is the proofreader obliged to accept work offered by the customer.
- The work will be carried out by me (Chloe Lay). I will not hire third-party proofreaders or editors to undertake any work submitted to me.
- I confirm that I am registered as self-employed and am responsible for my own income tax and National Insurance contributions.
- Prior to the commencement of proofreading and/or editing work, the client and the proofreader will agree, in writing, the terms of the project, including:
- the extent of the project, including the services required (proofreading, editing, formatting or a combination of the three) and the number of words and images included in the project
- the medium in which the service will be carried out (e.g. Microsoft Word, Google Docs, PDF, on paper)
- the date by which the work will be completed and returned to the client
- the fee for the project, based on a quote supplied by the proofreader following an evaluation of the document.
- Note that all material to be proofread and/or edited must be provided to the editor before the terms of the project will be set out and before the work will be accepted.
- A quotation for the work to be carried out will be provided by the proofreader for the client following an evaluation of the work to be performed.
- The client will pay the proofreader a per-hour fee OR a per-word fee OR a flat project rate, as agreed upon in writing prior to the commencement of work.
- The editor will supply the client with an invoice immediately on completion of the work.
- For all work, the client must pay a non-refundable deposit to the proofreader before any work will be undertaken. The deposit amount is usually half of the full fee but will be agreed upon prior to acceptance of any work. The deposit amount will be deducted from the full amount to be paid upon completion of the work. By paying the deposit and agreeing to the terms provided, the client confirms that the proofreader should begin to undertake the agreed-upon work. Once the work is completed, it will be returned to the client along with a final invoice.
- When the client has received the completed work and the final invoice, final payment must be made within five (5) working days.
- Both the client and the proofreader have the right to terminate an order for services at any time if there is a serious breach of the terms and conditions listed here.
- The client is free to cancel a service before the completion of work for any reason by providing the proofreader with written notice (including email); the proofreader must acknowledge this cancellation in writing for this to be valid. The deposit will not be refunded in these circumstances.
- The client is not able to cancel a service after the work has been completed. In instances when the proofreader has completed and returned the work ahead of the scheduled deadline, the work is not eligible to be cancelled, and full payment must be made.
- The proofreader is free to cancel a service at any time for any reason by providing written notice (including email) to the client. In the unlikely event of this happening, the proofreader will provide a prorated refund of any fees paid.
- If the proofreader is affected by extenuating circumstances that cause cancellation (such as family crises, illness, bereavement), the proofreader will contact the client at the earliest possible opportunity, either to renegotiate the timeframe of the project or to find an alternative solution. If the service has to be cancelled, the deposit will be refunded to the client.
- The work will be carried out unsupervised and at times and places determined by me, using my own equipment.
- The work will be completed and delivered on or before the date agreed by the client and the proofreader, for the agreed-upon fee.
- The date and fee for all work will be based on the work required.
- The proofreader aims to provide an accurate, thorough and reliable proofreading and editing service, eliminating as many errors from the client’s document as possible and striving for 100% success. However, due to the nature of this work, perfection is not guaranteed. The proofreader is not liable for any omissions or errors remaining in clients’ documents and cannot be held responsible for any losses or costs incurred by errors remaining in texts. All documents should be checked carefully by the client before publication.
- All work provided to the proofreader by the client will be kept confidential and will be deleted from the proofreader’s system within one (1) week of the work’s delivery.
- All content delivered to the editor by the client is owned by the client. In this respect, the client agrees to hold the proofreader harmless from and against all claims, liabilities and expenses arising out of any potential or actual copyright or trademark misappropriation or infringement claimed against them.
In addition to the terms above, the following terms and conditions apply to proofreading and editing of any and all academic work, including but not limited to essays, dissertations, theses and academic journal articles.
- Students or academics wishing to hire a proofreading service should check that the use of such a service is permitted by their university or institution. The proofreader is not to be held responsible for any ramifications caused by a student or academic’s failure to make this check.
- Students or academics are strongly advised to inform their tutor, supervisor or other relevant superior that a proofreading service is being used for the work in question.
- Editing of academic work is limited to proofreading and formatting. No substantial edits will be made, as such edits constitute plagiarism.
- The aim of proofreading is to make sure that the work is free from errors of spelling, grammar, punctuation and consistency. This will not guarantee an improvement in grade or mark, and the proofreader cannot be held responsible for the client receiving a lower grade than expected.
- Avoiding plagiarism remains the client’s responsibility; a plagiarism check is NOT part of the proofreading service. No advice regarding plagiarism will be given to the client as it is wholly their responsibility to ensure that they are not committing plagiarism.